NJASL Position Statement on the Evaluation of School Library Media Specialists
View our brand new video on the benefits of school libraries:
Visit our Advocacy Wiki page for valuable information on advocating for school librarians.
The NJASL Advocacy Wiki was developed to provide NJ-based information on:
- laws and regulations;
- steps to follow and people to contact in case that part of the program is threatened;
- responses to frequently asked questions;
- templates and examples to help you create your own advocacy materials (letters to the editor, ways to solicit input from stakeholders, etc.);
- links to additional helpful resources to support your efforts.
NJ State Regulations
re use of volunteers to run school libraries
Resources available from NJEA:
Special Education Advocacy:
2013 Legislator List:
Letter Writing Strategies:
Other Advocacy Resources:
- AASL: http://www.ala.org/aasl/aaslissues/issuesadvocacy
- Syracuse University. School of Information Studies. NY Schools Need School Librarians video. Although aimed at NY stakeholders, this video is relevant for school librarians everywhere.
- Lance, Keith Curry. 2012 Closer Look Report. http://www.lrs.org/documents/closer_look/CO4_2012_Closer_Look_Report.pdf
"For the time being, what we know from this study and its predecessors is that the research on school librarians and their association with students’ test scores is remarkably consistent in its findings: regardless of how rich or poor a community is, students tend to perform better on reading tests where, and when, their library programs are in the hands of endorsed librarians.
Furthermore, at schools where library programs gain or maintain an endorsed librarian when school budgets get tight, students tend to excel. At schools where library programs lose or never had an endorsed librarian, students suffer as a result."
- CASL's Survive and Thrive! An Advocacy Toolkit for School Librarians
- Karen Bonanno's School Library Advocacy Scoop.it
- ISTE sigms -The International Society for Technology in Education maintains a support network to school library media specialists and others in leadership positions who are working to promote the use of instructional technologies to enhance student learning.
- Texas State Library Study: Texas School Libraries: Standards, Resources, Services, and Students' Performance.
- Sara Kelly John's Frugal School Librarian has tons of resources to explore and use.